The same person told us that Ich (a parasite) could pass from one tank to another through the air, which is why people put glass covers on their tanks... To keep the parasites out.
I'm sure that he meant well and was trying to be helpful, but...
- Okay, so I went to this store with my boyfriend and we both were not impressed at allll!!!!! The man who worked there ignored us for a good hour, and every time we asked him a question he would roll his eyes or give us a dirty look. He also stood there talking to his friends ingoring us for a good 25 min. Clearly this man doesnt take his job seriously if he wants to drive customers away like that.
- —Guest April64
- I went to the lfs to get my saltwater aquarium set up, they said come back in 2 days to get fish, needless to say, i bought a $125 dollar harlequin tusk that died the next week, and a $75 dollar puffer that died 2 months later. :(
- —Guest Jake
- When I didn't know to much I purchased a lunar wrasse and a cleaner shrimp at the same time.. Lfs knew it was going in the same tank... In canada, cleaners are 25-35 bucks .. Thanks guys ;)
- —Guest Matt
Only difference is...
- When I got into saltwater I had 3 freshwater tanks. I walked into the lfs and saw an awesome looking reef tank.. I asked the guy " I know nothing about saltwater... Is it hard to maintain"? He told me " the only difference is, there is salt in the water". Then sold me a 20 gal system with hob filter and a bag of sand and salt . Lol. I currently have a 135gal reef tank.
- —Guest Matt
- The lfs guy told me the carpet anemone and my clowns would get along fine.Put the thing in my tank. It started looking looking great. My wife said it looked evil and I should get rid of it. I didn't listen. The sob killed everything in the tank. Even the Henri crab.
- —Guest mike
6 seahorses ok in a 2 week mature tank
- I saw the ponys in LFS and lost my mind. have 150 and 110 freshwater I asked how hard REALLY is having a salt tank. And I quote, "'you can set up the tank and bring them home in 2 weeks" need I say more. I managed to save 4 of them, by bringing them (on tears) back to LFS. 6 mos later I still dont have ponies but the tank is finally doing well.
- —Guest Older Wiser
- I'm just gonna say it... I have a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion. So I go to the lfs and he tries to sell me shrimp and I try to tell the guy, hey... they won't make it. Seriously, they wouldn't last 3 minutes. "Nah, they'll hide. Just feed the lion when you turn the shrimp loose"
- —Guest Rob
- A "big box" chain lfs once told me: to keep my new coral frags happy is to put about 25 cents worth of pennies into my sump to get a copper dose into the system, she laughed and said they had about 100 dollars of coins in their systems..I handed back the drags and went elsewhere...PENNIES? REALLY?
- —Guest deman
Feeding fish before purchase
- One of the employees at our LFS was trying to sell us a massive goldfish for our feature pond, but the problem was; he fed the goldfish in front of us to show how 'friendly' it was. This is a big no no, the fish can't have food in their stomachs while being transported as it leads to stress on the stomach. The fish was dead the next day, we paid $50 for that fish....... No refund... This Is why pet shops feed their fish AFTER closing time. Don't buy a fish I it's just been fed; it's kinder on the fish (and your wallet)!!!
- —Guest Water Bottle
- A local pet shop said that keeping food species was fine in a reef aquarium, stating salmon would help eat pests such as crayon snails and such. Brilliant...not so much so.
- —Guest Dr. Tim Eckel
For HI snorkeler Sam
- Even keiki know no clownfish these islands brah. Maybe you confuse with Dascyllus? Maybe too much pakalolo and staring at inaccurate marine mural in your hotel lobby? The only clown in the water that day was you brah :)
- —Guest Kimo
Power makes people crazy
- I was on work experience at pets art many years ago. I wasn't allowed near the fish ad the manager took personal responsibility for them. This made what he did even more amusing....a fresh batch of Siamese fighters had arrived. The manager proceeded to unpack the individual bags and empty them all into the same tank. I pointed out his error and he told me they were fighting because they were stressed from transit. We argued for quite some time before I gave up and just started fishing them out into separate tanks. He made a complaint trying to get me kicked off the work experience....in the end he got fired and I actually managed to learn something about fish as I then got to take over for the remainder of my time there.
- —Guest Petnotsosmart
"Tanked" stole their logo
- I know this isn't about fish so much but a local pet store that is notorious for having dirty and dead tanks told a friend of mine that the aquarium TV show "TANKED" was modeled after them and that they even stole the store's logo. (Note: it's an LFS not a tank manufacturer and ATM, the Tanked company, is from a different side of the country and has had their logo for a long, long time.)
- —Guest TheCajun
- I bought a spanish dancer from Lfs.. he told me that they are algae eaters... Hahaha... They feed of toXic sponges...what a sales Man...
- —Guest rocky
- well needless to say the crab had eaten the fish and the water was a mess. The black ghost had a ripped fin and never recovered, it succumbed to fungus as they do all to often. What a mess. I was only left with one happy and fat Niglotone crab!!!
- —Guest Nigolan Sr.