Does this work on fresh water tanks
- Does this work on fresh water tanks without a skimmer? Seems the skimmer might be needed to get rid of the alcohol? Anyone?
- —Guest Freshwater Mama
- I've been using the vodka method for 2 weeks and so far no results. I am dosing 1ml a day in my 75g reef tank. My nitrates are still over 100 ppm I've also change 50% of my water.
- —Guest Rory
- I have a 150g fowlr and nitrates were about 80-100ppm. I've been dosing for about a week and a half now at 2ml each night. I have not notice much change. I find it very hard to believe that some say it worked in an hour. I'll check back in a month with any updates.
- —Guest deck
- Follow up been using vodka for 4 weeks now. Nitrates went from 140 to zero. Fish are healthy and seem very happy and colorful water is crystal clear. Will continue to dose
- —Guest Emory Kocher
- I have not tried it but would like to know more from people that have tried and have seen success.
- —Guest Harjit
- 29 Gal biocube using 5 drops a day. I know it's only day two but its working. Brown algae is leaving my tank. Fish are fine corals too.So far so good.
- —Guest J.R.
- works great had nitrate levels at 140 and above two weeks later after adding 1 ml per day in 75 gallon tank levels are now 20 to 30 will continue to use as long as i works
- —Guest emory kocher
- I'm used 0.5ml per 30 gallon for 2 months ! no change ! uped dosage to 1ml ! still no change ?? maybe ouer Vodka in South Africa no good
- —Guest Christo
- Originally I wrote that my tank crashed. Not all my fish ended up dying. In fact, after two of them set on the bottom, with heavy breathing, and very near death, I was able to save them. Because my nitrates stayed high, I continued with the dosing. As of right now I only ended up losing a couple of fish and everything else seems to be doing better then ever. So, I guess my immediate reaction was a bit overdone, as it is seemingly working now. Still, I would only use this method as a last resort and use all natural filtration methods first.
- —Guest Brandon
works limited response
- I've done this, with 150 total gallons, 90 reef, 45 fowlr, and 30 refugium.1.75ml 95 % alcohol. Within am hour skimmer pulling black stuff. Within a week started to climb. My ammonia is 0ppm, nitrate 0ppm, nitrate almost 60ppm, tops out my test kit! I recommend vodka method, but don't overdo the dose!
- —Guest matt
- What kind of vodka are y'all use? Becuz I have brown and green algae in my saltwater tank
- —Guest kelwin
- I had very high nitrate levels. I tried everything to solve this. This was my last resort and I followed the dosage down to the ml, and all my fish ended up dead. I guess it may work for some, but don't do it unless it is a last resort.
- —Guest Brandon
Vodka for freshwater tank
- Does the vodka method work on freshwater tanks? I have 125, 55 and 40 gallon tanks and have a lot of problem with the 125, the ammonia is fine, but nitrites, not so much.
amazed it worked
- i have a 125 fish only tank setup i have tried everything to keep nitrates down sometimes they would climb over 100ppm then finally i htoght i would try the vodka method and within a couple hours the nitrate would not even register now i still do monthly water change but still have no trace of nitrates for 6 months thanks for this method i wish i tried it sooner but was affraid of fish loss
- I've been using the vodka method on and off for over a year now and have had no issues at all. Went from 20 to 30 nitrates to near zero. My skimmer is also a lot more productive after starting with the vodka