- Put the stand into place and level it, being sure to leave clearance for electrical connections and equipment.
- Clean the tank with freshwater and a soft cloth or sponge.
- If you plan to cover the back of the tank, paint it a color you like, or apply a piece of manufactured vinyl aquarium background covering, do it now.
- If you have elected to use a sump, install it in the cabinet/stand at this time. Quite often it is easier to insert the sump into the stand through the top than it is through the cabinet doors. If you haven't found a sump yet, a Cheap, Easy DIY Sumps might work for you.
- If your are going to install a DIY Automatic Top Off System, do it before you install your sump (it is much easier than waiting until the sump is in the cabinet).
- If your system includes a sump, much of the sump related equipment is easier to install the sump before the tank is placed on the stand.
- Place the tank on the stand, using an under-pad for cushioning underneath if needed, and check to see that the tank is level.
- Install power strip/light timer.
install the tank equipment.