Factors That Add Into the Equation
- Everyone seems to have their own opinions as to which is best or worse, based on their personal experiences of using a particular brand.
- How the salt mix was prepared, which includes what freshwater source was used to do so.
- Manufacturers' claims about their products are often biased and slanted to suit the advertiser. So how do you know who to believe?
- Considerations: The accuracy of reports are essentially worthless without "impartial" sample collection and testing; a manufacturer's reputation; use of the proper equipment to process and ingredients to produce the product.
- Its intended use for a fish-only aquarium or a reef tank system.
- Exposure on the market.
- In regards to the later two points, Instant Ocean is an interesting example. As our Sea Salt Mixes Poll reflects, it appears to be the top choice, but does this necessarily mean that it is the best overall brand? Because this salt mix is one that is most readily available in fish stores, both locally and online, and it is affordable, these two factors "may" contribute to its popularity with hobbyists.
Taking these and undoubtedly other factors into consideration can make the decision of which salt mix to buy confusing. However, what it simply comes down to, as discussed in Sea Salt Mixes - Part 1, is that you want to choose one that is as close in composition to that of natural sea water (NSW) as possible, as well as has no or little other unwanted impurities contained in it.
So how do you go about comparing the essential and other elements contained in various salt mixes sold on the market? That's easy! Refer to the following quick reference table we have compiled to compare the differences between them.
- Comparison Table of Primary Elements in Some Brand Name Sea Salt Mixes
- Compare Prices of the Top Sea Salt Mixes
~Debbie & Stan Hauter