What is a Sump and Do You Need One? explains what a sump is, the pros and cons of using a sump and the various styles of sumps. There is also information for those of you Do-It-Yourselfers who like to make their own equipment whenever possible.
- Offers a platform for the widest range of equipment.
- Increases system water volume.
- Can double as a refugium for algae, live rock or mangroves.
- Can keep all equipment out of sight.
- May be difficult to plumb.
- Can be noisy.
- Increased chance of external water leaks.
YES I am going to use a sump in my filtration system.
NO I am not going to have a sump.