Frequently Asked Questions About Saltwater Aquarium Problems
Algae blooms in a saltwater aquarium can be very frustrating. The causes and cures for different types of algae are not always the same. Here are some of the frequently asked questions about problem algae:
- How do I get rid of Green Hair Algae? I have this green hairy looking algae all over my tank. It looks terrible!
- How do I get rid of Brown Algae? My tank just finished the cycle and now there is this ugly Brown Algae on everything.
- Red/Black/Ugly Slime Algae It's growing on everything! How do I get rid of it?
Equipment, Filtration & Setting Up FAQs
- Building a tank from scratch? Aquariums are really expensive. Can I build my own aquarium and save some money?
- Checklist for getting started?
- Biological Cycle - What is it and how does it work?
- Biological Cycle - Using Biozyme tank starter?
- Cycling Process Should I do a water change during the cycle to reduce the ammonia and nitrite levels?
- Heaters - Is it safe... to have multiple heaters in an aquarium?We just asked someone in an aquarium store who has a tank and he said...
- Lighting What kind should I use, how much, etc.?
- Ocean Water I live near the ocean, can I use it in my aquarium?
- Protein Skimmer - What is it and what does it do?
- Starting a Tank - How many gallons, type of filter, etc.?
Diseases & QT FAQs
Fish & Invertebrate FAQs
- How Many Fish can I put in my tank?
- Bristleworms? I recently set up a marine aquarium. I bought some live rock from the local pet shop and...
- How Often Should I Feed My Fish? Someone told me that I should only feed my fish once every 2 or 3 days. Is that true?
- Do fish sleep when lights are off?
- Fish Looks/Acts Weird - What's wrong with it?
- Eel - How can I remove it from my tank?
- Freshwater Snowflake Eels? A guy in my LFS told me they could get Freshwater Snowflake Eels. Is there really such a thing?
- Little White Bugs In Tank They're everywhere in my tank. What are they? Will they hurt my fish?
- Shark and/or Octopus in 100g tank? ... would like to know about the possibility of having sharks and/or an octopus in the aquarium?