A sump is nothing more than a container in which to hold water and other stuff for your tank. Normally located under the tank, saltwater aquarium sumps are used to hold:
- Plastic Garbage Cans
- Available at most hardware stores.
- Usually cost less than $10.
- Cut it down to fit under your tank.
- Plastic Storage Containers
- Lots of sizes to choose from.
- Usually costs less than $10.
- Available in most home improvement stores.
- Available in many sizes.
- Garage and yard sales are good sources for used aquariums.
- Easy DIY project.
Mini-Reef Tanks are particularly good candidates for DIY Sumps. A sump can dramatically increase the equipment you can utilize in your aquarium system.