The Bottom Line
- Affordable and easy to use.
- Provide reliable test results.
- Easy to read color comparisons.
- Reagents should not be used past expiration dates.
- May expire early if stored at high temperatures.
- Previously known as the SeaTesT® Reef line of water testing kits by Aquarium Systems, now named Instant Ocean® Test Kits.
- Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH, Copper, Phosphate, Calcium, Alkalinity tests, multi-kits, and reagent refills available.
- Durable plastic wide-mouth testers allow for more room to add reagents.
- Durable plastic wide-base testers provide stabilization against spilling.
- Reagents are sealed in foil packets to protect them from light and moisture.
- Reagent foil packets are time dated to insure freshness and test accuracy.
- One piece color comparator chip system makes for easy reading of test results.
- Replacement tester parts can be purchased.
Guide Review - SeaTesT® Reef / Instant Ocean® Test Kits
After many years of using these test kits under the previous fasTest® and SeaTest® names, we found them to be fast, accurate, and very easy to use. The wide-mouth and wide-base testers make it convenient to add the reagents, and they don't tip over easily. The color comparator chips slide right into the tester, and the colors are vibrant, which makes reading the test a simple task. Testing times range from 2 up to 20 minutes, so the results are quick. With the convenient individual foil packets, there is no worry about keeping the granular testing chemicals dry, fresh, and active.
Although we highly recommend Instant Ocean® Aquarium Test Kits for anyone to use, the chemicals are time-use dated. We suggest checking the printed expiration date on the foil packets before buying any of these kits, because any particular one may have been kept for some time on a store's shelf. If you happen to get outdated reagents, contact Aquarium Systems to see if they might replace them. They did this for us when we had a large quantity of expired ammonia test refills at one time.