The Bottom Line
These in-sump skimmers are well built and constructed air driven counter-current units, but require the purchase of additional equipment for operation.
- Designed for in-sump use.
- Air powered counter current units.
- Well built and constructed.
- Additional air pump & powerhead required.
- Limewood air stone(s) require regular changing.
- Manufactured by Precision Marine.
- Air pump driven counter current skimmers that utilize limewood air stones.
- Three models to choose from.
- AP426H is for up to 55 gallons, with Schego M2K3 air pump suggested for operation.
- AP426H has single a air stone.
- AP426 is for up to 75 gallons, with Schego M2K3 air pump suggested for operation.
- AP426 has dual air stones.
- AP626 is for up to 125 gallons, with Wisa 200 air pump suggested for operation.
- AP626 has quad air stones.
- In-sump installation requires additional powerhead.
Guide Review - Precision Marine AP Series Protein Skimmers
When ample air is supplied and the limewood air diffuser is serviced regularly, Precision Marine's AP Series units are super efficient in-sump air powered skimmers. FPT input and output allows for professional plumbing installation if desired, and note that the air line does not run through the skimmer neck and foam tube. This helps to prevent pinching off of the air supply, which can happen when air lines are bent around to fit into or through a side access hole into the skimming chamber, like some other skimmer designs have.