- Description - An identification, selection, characteristics, reproduction, and captive aquarium care profile reference guide. Consisting of 256 pages, it includes a few black and white illustrations and more than 200 full-color photographs.
- Price - Moderate range.
- Publisher - T.F.H. Publications; Co-published by Microcosm Books: "As fascinating as they are feared, sharks and rays have captivated the human imagination since prehistoric times. In a long-awaited, authoritative guide, expert aquarist and reef naturalist Scott Michael provides the definitive introduction to the biology and behavior of these fishes."
- Hardcover; 2001; ISBN #1890087572
Chapters in "Aquarium Sharks & Rays" include extensive details about the following topics:
- Basic Anatomy, Classifications, and Taxonomy
- The Elasmobranch Aquarium System: Planning and Setting Up a Home Tank for Sharks or Rays
- Selecting the Right Specimen: Picking a Healthy Elasmobranch, and One That is Right for You.
- A Catalog of Sharks & Rays: Choosing Among the Elasombranchs Available to Home Aquarists.
- Foods & Feeding: Proper Nutrition for the Captive Elasmobranch.
- Elasmobranch Health: Recognizing and Coping with Common Disease and Nutritional Problems.
- Captive Reproduction: Advice for the Would-be Elasmobranch Breeder.
Packed full of valuable information from beginning to end, Scott has done an excellent job of putting "Aquarium Sharks & Rays: An Essential Guide to Their Selection, Keeping and Natural History" together, and we highly recommend it.
About the Author: As an underwater photographer for many years, Scott W. Michael is highly regarded as one of the world's foremost authorities on the behavior and care of reef fishes in aquarium systems. He regularly contributes articles to "Aquarium Fish Magazine", as well as having served as a scientific consultant to National Geographic Explorer and the Discovery Channel. He is the author of other popular books, such as "Reef Sharks and Rays of the World" (Sea Challengers), "Marine Fishes" PocketExpert Guide, and the "Reef Fishes" series".