- Recommended For - Beginning reefers, and all aquarists that are looking for a good marine fishes and invertebrates indentification and profiles reference resource.
- Description - This book outlines the components for creating a successful coral reef aquarium patterned after any of the many ocean zones in nature, and contains a complete fish and invertrebrate selection and stocking guide. 224 pages with 500+ full-color photographs throughout.
- Price - Moderate range.
- Publisher - T.F.H. Publications; Co-published by Microcosm Books
- ISBN #189008767X (Hardcover; 2002)
- ISBN #1890087688 (Paperback; 2002)
Reef Secrets is a fresh approach to setting up and stocking a reef aquarium. It is an easy-to-follow publication that is packed with marine fish and invertebrate photos, and comprehensive details on the following chapters:
- Light, Darkness & Shadows - Illuminating the Reef Aquarium; Look First to Nature.
- Water Qualities & Movement - Creating and Maintaining the Best Possible Seawater Conditions in a Reef Aquarium.
- Aquascaping - Building a Small-Scale Ecosystem; Combining Beauty and Biology in a Box of Water.
- Biotopes - Modeling Aquariums on Ecological Niches on and Around the Reef.
- Aquarium Stocking - Thinking Before Buying: Selecting Species Based on Compatibility, Population Density, Aquarium Size, and Human Hazards.
- Stocking Guide - A Concise Encyclopedia of Fishes and Invertebrates Commonly Available to the Marine Aquarist. (This chapter contains a large collection of full color marine fish and invertebrate photos with at-a-glance profile notes on their Identification, Feeding, Compatibility, Conservation, and more.)
- Reef Algae - The Healthiest Reefs Have Algae, So Will Your Reef Aquarium. Why Not Make it Beautiful?
- Foods & Feeding - The Science and Learned Arts of Keeping Your Aquarium Inhabitants Well Nourished.
- Friends Of The Reef - Animal Welfare, Reef Conservation, and the Informed Marine Aquarist.
- Reef Secrets: Starting Right, Selecting Fishes & Invertebrates, Advanced Biotope Techniques is a book we highly recommend for reef tank beginners, as well as any aquarist who wants to convert an existing basic saltwater aquarium into a reef system, or is simply planning to add new livestock to any type of saltwater tank they may have.
Aside from a good reef tank set up book, this is an excellent fish and invertebrate indentification and profile reference resource for saltwater aquarists at any level to get.