1. Home

Bill Paterno's False Percula Clownfish
Thinking about buying a host anemone for your Clownfish, but don't know which anemone will work for your Clown? The Relationship and Species Identification cross-reference chart can help with choosing the best or "preferred" host anemone for your clownfishes, which is based on the natural symbiotic relationships between them in the wild and other matches which seem to work in a saltwater aquarium.

More: Host Sea Anemone Survivability Survey Sea Anemones are not the easiest things to keep alive and in good health in an aquarium. Here are the summary and analysis of the Host Sea Anemone Survey. The information here could help you to easily double the life span of a sea anemone in your aquarium.

More: Clownfish & Host Anemone Photos Photos of a number of different species of Clownfish in their host anemones.

Photo by Bill Paterno

Comments

December 19, 2008 at 5:00 pm
(1) dan says:

what is the best time of year to buy live rock?

February 8, 2009 at 9:36 pm
(2) Janine says:

Sarah, is it?

Have you any idea several marine (including anemone species) thrive in captivity and even reproduce? I agree no species should be taken from the wild, but given the hobby is strong and unwilling to cease existence, shouldn’t you encourage the PROPER care of tank-raised species? …or do you advocate the release of any and all captive species? Dumb idea. This, in case yu haven’t noticed is a site for people seeking advice – not an under-thought, reactionary, non-lecture.

Dearheart, I am a member of PETA (,etc), and I hug my favorite tree daily (I wish I were joking about that last bit), but I understand the human species will dabble in these practices. Hopefully, most of us take the practice of caring for ONLY tank-raised species seriously…I fully understand this applies to hope only.

Don’t you think it might be more helpful to advise would-be caretakers about how to care for captive-raised species as opposed to making a blanket statement like “No one should EVER…?”

Here’s some unwated, blanket advice for you, Sarah: no one should ever make a blanket statement disguised as advice. See how much that stings?

Understand, Sarah, that people don’t care for orders. Rather, guidance seems to prevail. Please think before you speak, and do a little reaesrch before you pretend to be any kind of authority about any topic…even in your own mind.

July 7, 2009 at 12:34 am
(3) Jerrod says:

Agreed some anemones do die, due to lack of proper care, and inexperienced aquarists. However, some anemones live, even thrive, and go on to make MANY more anemones that hobbyist sell to each other. Because of this behavior, aquarium hobbyists have kept the demand for anemones from the wild reduced to a minimum compared to what it would be had no hobbyist began to culture these amazing creatures! We should definitely begin to reduce the number being removed from the ocean though.

July 7, 2009 at 8:49 am
(4) saltaquarium says:

You might find the results of the Host Sea Anemone Survivability Survey interesting, even surprising in some cases.

Stan

September 19, 2009 at 2:51 am
(5) clownfish facts says:

wow Janine, you really said it…I think, with comments like that we can all scratch our heads and go to bed dazed and confused.

In regards to finding the proper anemone, I think it is critical to pair up your clownfish with the appropriate species of anemone. Do you find the survivability differs depending on where one lives?

September 19, 2009 at 4:23 am
(6) clownfish facts says:

Great post.Iam looking for this type of post for a long time .I have already have a big aquarium with me,but never thought of these matters before.Thank you once again

January 9, 2010 at 12:06 pm
(7) Daniel says:

I’ve just set up a saltwater aquarium (two weeks old) and have installed a Seaclone Protein Skimmer. My question is that it isn’t doing anything but pumping large amounts of air into the tank and not creating any foam. The amount of air going into the tank is to the piont that you can hardly see anything. What is wrong?

May 27, 2010 at 10:07 am
(8) Anthony says:

Most anemones used in saltwater tanks are aqua cultured in tanks in the first place. There are state and federal laws regulating the removal of anemones and corals from the ocean in many countries in the world. I would know, I breed long tentacle anemones at my shop. I’m just as concerned about our environment as you are, but please do some research before you take action publicly.