1. Home

Rick Herring's Sunflower Coral
Contrary to popular belief, a vast majority of corals are not autotrophic, requiring only light to survive. Autotrophs produce their own food from inorganic material they extract from their surrounding environment, usually using sunlight to synthesize it with the aid of zooxanthellae algae. Giving your corals some extra food can really perk them up and increase their reproduction rate.

More: Exactly What Do Corals Eat?? Corals, for the most part, are carnivorous, feeding mostly on small animals (zooplankton) suspended in the water column of the ocean ...

More: When Do Corals Eat?? You might be surprised... While you are sleeping, guess what your corals are doing?

Photo Rick Herring

Comments

June 25, 2008 at 7:54 am
(1) Weng Demuth says:

I have just set up a reef aquarium,and still learning about salt water…
I notice that some of my live rocks are turning white,Why is that?and what can i do to prevent it,is it dying?

July 2, 2008 at 4:49 pm
(2) Elena says:

Hi Weng,

I’m assuming when you say “just set up” that it is still going through the cycling process. You didn’t give much info about your tank, gallon size, lighting, living inhabitants or quality of your water. Do you have any cleaning crew? I think that your tank is exactly where it should be and in a few weeks you will see the coralline that has turned white will grow its color back. Don’t do ANY water changes or substrate clean ups while your tank is still cycling. A good cycle will probably be at around 3 months. Hope this helps some.

October 14, 2008 at 11:49 pm
(3) Fish Lover says:

Hi guys, I would like to say thank you for this wonderful article. It will help me alot in aquarium keeping.

Sincerely,
John
aquatropicalfish.com/forum/index.php

September 22, 2009 at 1:01 pm
(4) Michele says:

Hello, we have a 70 gallon bow front saltwater tank that has been set up for about 2 months. The water has cycled and it has been doing just great. We have a variety of nice and very large corals, bubble corals, sunflower, button… and they have all been very happy. There is only 2 damsels, 2 small clowns & 1 small yellow tang. Last week is when we added the tang and the two clowns. Then 2 days later – the corals are white and look wilted. I think they are all dead, but the fish are fine. We have been feeding the corals and like I said everything has been doing so well for the last month & 1/2. Do you have any ideas on what could have happened? Could the corals be recovered?
Any information you could give me would be great.
Thanks.
Michele

May 5, 2010 at 8:21 am
(5) gord brooks says:

ya i have just bought some coral for my tank and they have all opened up and started out real nice except one it opened up nice and big then started to shrink up again so im wondering what is going on

December 19, 2012 at 3:06 pm
(6) Earl says:

One thing I was having trouble with was corals, especially zoanthids not opening. I added some Coral Amino along with Vitamin C and the corals are huge and fully open. One thing I think it needs to be said for any newbee is to take it slow. You need to resist buying too much too fast, if you want a healthy, happy aquarium and its inhabitants.